Thursday, April 22, 2010

Family

My Uncle Ken passed away last month. He was a great guy. He fought cancer for a long time. He lived in California, but his funeral was here, in Texas. He was buried next to my grandpa and Ali. He was my dad's best friend. My dad was one of the speakers at his funeral and it was really sad to see how much he will miss him. He was a fun uncle, always up for card games (taught me everything I know about cards) he told the longest stories and made the best Oreo shakes. He was the only person allowed to call me Ginger Bread. He was a great dad, a nice husband, and fun grandpa. My aunt Sandy moved to Texas after he passed away and it will be nice to have her live close by. I am sure my mom will enjoy living close to her sister again. The funeral was just a couple days before Easter. So all the family stayed longer than they usually would. We had a full house, with lots of family to hang out with. We were able to see cousins we haven't seen in years and visit with them. Once again, I don't know what we would do without Texas Old Town. We had a giant Easter egg hunt with hundreds of eggs, cook outs and dinners all together. The kids had a great time playing, shopping, and spending time with all the cousins. This picture is missing a few kids that we couldn't round up! We also celebrated Grandma's 93rd birthday a little early. (Her birthday is April 15th.) She is an amazing woman. She is still in good health and the doctor tells her she has a heart of a 60 year old. She is getting hard of hearing and that is really frustrating for her because she likes to be in the middle of it. She is a wonderful example to me. She is loved! I am so grateful to have an amazing family and love spending time with them.

2 comments:

  1. We love coming to Texas....even though this was a sad visit, we seemed to get some fun in. Thanks for putting up with all of us once again. We love to visit our TX family, and look forward to many more visits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You really updated your blog! I really enjoyed reading what you all have been up to. Sounds like Spring Break was a blast! I'm glad that Paul got up to helping Barret with his Pinewood Derby car. :0) And of course Wyatt's hair is always sooooo cooool!!!! We all did have a special Easter time for sure. Family is the best thing in life isn't it???

    ReplyDelete