Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"B" is for Barret, Basketball, & BonJovi

Paul, being 6'4", often gets asked if he plays basketball. The question is quite hilarious if you know Paul or have seen him dribble. The man has many talents, but basketball or let's just say sports in general, are not his passion. I, may even be worse! So we haven't done our kids any favors with our gene pools but, Barret may be able to move past this problem. He played basketball this year and did an AMAZING job. He scored, fouled, passed, fouled, dribbled, fouled, and had a great time! This season, he was on the Hawkeyes and really excelled in the game. This is his third season and I have finally learned the appropriate time to yell "rebound!" A few weeks ago, he had 2 games in one day. During the hour break between the two games, we went and got a donut. As we were talking about the game, Paul told him he wasn't playing very aggressive and he noticed he didn't even get one foul. Barret most have took this into consideration and decided to get in and play! At about 38 seconds before the final buzzer, Barret was fouled out of the game! We couldn't believe it-5 fouls! It was so funny. Our "gentle giant" was playing nasty! He did a great job and I hope he will continue to enjoy the sport enough that when he is Paul's age he will be able to answer
"Yes, I played and I loved it!"
I few months ago, Paul bought an I-phone which eliminated his need for an i-pod. Barret quickly took it over and I quickly erased Paul's play lists. (a 9 year old boy listening to ACDC is never a good idea.) Not knowing what kind of music he liked, Barret let me add a few of my favorites. The first time he heard "Living On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi, he was hooked. He now owns all 75 of Bon Jovi's songs...who knew they had that many? He is also a wealth of useless knowledge on the band. Need to know when Jon was born? Ask Barret? It has gotten so bad that the other morning his teacher called saying, "Ginger, Bon Jovi will be in Dallas in April! You have got to get him tickets!" She even offered to take him! (A memory I am sure that would last a lifetime!)

3 comments:

  1. Great job @ B-ball Barret!! Keep it up.
    Oh....and here is a little history for Barret about Jon Bon Jovi...I had him hanging on every wall in my bedroom during the fantastic 80's and I was even going to marry him someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barret is so dang cute! We should've gone to one of his games! Is his season over? You know what happens after Jon Bon Jovi right? Harder rock and electric guitars....yep just like Skyler! Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has to be the cutest family picture I have ever seen! I love it. Ok, you are an amazing mom- I love the Valentines decor for breakfast. And Barret and basketball, awesome. Camden just finished a season and one day he was SO aggressive (like way different from the week before), well turns out he had chocolate as the incentive for the most steals and rebounds. He won. (i guess he's a little like me when it comes to chocolate). And....great post about your family. Who is Anna? Is that Nate and Jackie's little baby? So cute. Love your blog Ginger.

    ReplyDelete